Lean: smoothening processes & eliminating waste.
• Identify your Customer and their concept of what value is, that’s what they would pay for.
• Identify the value stream & thus what is not, i.e. what is waste.
• Enable value to flow by removing waste.
• Customer to Pull, to avoid waste.
Minds > systems > outcomes: outcomes are results of systems, and systems are results of minds. One must change the minds first in order to change systems and then outcomes.
Heijunka: As DMAIC Improve:
leveling: smoothing production volumes to eliminate out-of-control variation & avoid peaks, to enable planning.
Sequencing: in date-order. Standardizing: a process to eliminate its variation. Document & flow diagram. Loop in continuous improvement: Standardize > stabilize > Improve.
Jidoka: Prevention. As DMAIC control. FMEA.
• Stop at every abnormality: employee can stop, e.g. by checking control chart.
• AutoNOmation: automation + with No defects: make machine stop at every defect. Helps detecting root causes early. And prevents subsequent defects.
•Single piece flow: quick QA after each event, converting waiting time waste into quality by QA.
•Pull Production:pull needed amount of input only when needed.
•Takt time: precise time of each event.
Goldratt theory of constraints – Loop:
1. Identify the constraint.
2. Exploit the constraint: maximize its output. 3. Subordinate (lower) other events.
4. Elevate the constraint. Repeat the loop for next constraint.